Since almost all of the clients I work with ask this question I figured I would post the answer. If you have lived in Williamsburg or Hampton Roads Va for a while then you most likely know that the gates on the on and off ramps to the interstate are used for Hurricane evacuation.
In the event of a hurricane or other disaster, the governor can order an interstate lane reversal to help evacuate Hampton Roads.
Should this occur, all lanes on I-64 will carry westbound traffic.
If a hurricane is due to hit the gates are dropped making all lanes will be out bound from towards Richmond VA only…so that means both the east and west bound lanes will travel only west.
Where Are the Gates?
Gates are located on the eastbound ramps along Interstate 64 from exit 273 east of the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel to exit 200 at Interstate 295 in Richmond for use as part of the I-64 lane reversal, if the governor should call one.
Why Are There Gates at Each End of the Ramp?
Gates are on either side of each ramp to make sure the ramps are completely inaccessible when closed. This prevents motorists from driving on shoulders to go around gates.
If the Gates Are Down, How Do I Exit the Interstate?
There will be only two exits for reversed traffic before I-295:
- Exit 234 in Williamsburg (where services include gas, food, lodging and a hospital)
- Exit 205 at Bottoms Bridge (where services include gas and food)
Motorists exiting the reversed lanes cannot re-enter the reversed lanes. Once a motorist exits the reversed lanes, they can re-enter I-64 using the normal I-64 westbound ramps.
A temporary comfort station will be located on I-64 at Jefferson Avenue (mile marker 255) to provide restrooms and water.
Motorists cannot exit I-64 at Jefferson Avenue. Farther west, New Kent County safety rest areas will be open.
What Happens at the Interstate 295 Interchange?
- The I-64 reversal ends at the I-295 interchange east of Richmond.
- Motorists on I-64 west lanes must take Exit 200 and travel on I-295 north toward Fredericksburg and Northern Virginia or I-295 south toward Petersburg.
- Motorists on I-64 reversed lanes (normally eastbound) will cross over to I-64 west lanes and continue west toward the I-95 interchange. See Exit 200 map for more information.
This link will explain more
Hurricane Evacuation Guide For Hampton Roads VA
Hurricane Evacuation Guide