There has been a recent incident where an organization using the name the Moorish Science Temple of America has illegally entered a home listed for sale, changed the locks and taken over the premises. The incident is under investigation by the Hampton VA Police Department and they have reason to believe that other properties may have been compromised.
The squatters posted a flier in the window of the vacant home that read in part, “possession is nine-tenths of the law, This property has been adverse repossessed” The flier also warned anyone of trespassing.
The group identified in the flier is the Moorish Science Temple of America. The religious group has a Web site which identifies its headquarters as being in Washington. D.C., and it lists “subordinate temples” in Chicago on E. 50th Street and another on N. Spaulding Ave.
The Web site includes the Temple’s history and beliefs, but does not mention anything about property repossessions.
If you have a vacant home for sale here are a few suggestions:
1. Make sure the home is visited by your listing agent frequently to make sure it has not been compromised.
2. Check the locks to make sure they have not been rekeyed.
3. Ask the neighbors to call you if they see anything suspicious.
4. Beware of a potential buyer who refers to themselves as brother or sister and refers to you as brother or sister.
5. If you receive an email from any of the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com report it to the police
According to Detective Flora of the Hampton VA police this organization believes that they have the right to inhabit properties that they do not own, so we are dealing with a very strange situation and you should exercise caution if you believe you have come in contact with this group
If you have any information of similar events in Hampton VA, please contact Detective Flora at 757 289-8351