• psst … I’m a Realtor! Thanks for stopping by my website. I would love to help you find your dream home and community in the Hampton Roads or Williamsburg area or to sell your existing home. This website is authored by local resident and REALTOR, John Womeldorf. John is known around town as Mr. Williamsburg, for both his extensive knowledge of Hampton Roads and the historic triangle, and his expertise in the local real estate market. His websites, WilliamsburgsRealEstate.com and Mr Williamsburg.com were created as a resource for folks who are exploring a move to Williamsburg, VA , Hampton Roads VA and the surrounding areas of the Virginia Peninsula. On his website you can search homes for sale , foreclosures, 55+ active adult communities, condos and town homes , land and commercial property for sale in Williamsburg, Yorktown, New Kent, Poquoson, and Gloucester, VA as well as surrounding markets of Carrolton, Chesapeake,Gloucester, Hampton, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth Mathews, Newport News Norfolk, Poquoson, Smithfield, , Suffolk, Surry, Va Beach, Yorktown and York County Virginia You can reach John by email John@MrWilliamsburg.com or phone @ 757-254-813

Historic Garden Week in Williamsburg Virginia Tuesday, April 22, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

A rare opportunity to see some of the most beautiful homes  and gardens in the Williamsburg, Virignia Area.

Welcome to Historic Garden Week in Virginia’s 75th anniversary season.  This spring, visitors will step through the gates of more than 250 of Virginia’s most beautiful gardens, homes and historic landmarks during “America’s Largest Open House,” April 19-27, 2008. Three dozen Historic Garden Week tours present a rich mosaic of some of the country’s finest properties at the peak of Virginia’s springtime color. Sponsored by The Garden Club of Virginia, local events are scheduled from the Atlantic Ocean to the Allegheny Mountains and will span the centuries from the early 17th through the early 21st.

For those interested in horticulture, there will be formal gardens, walled gardens, cottage gardens, cutting gardens, annual and perennial gardens, herb gardens, water gardens, and even secret gardens. Visitors interested in architecture and interior decorating will see beautifully renovated historic properties as well as stunning contemporary residences, exceptional artwork, and some of the country’s best collections of glass, china, and American, European and Asian antiques. Many houses have interesting family histories intertwined with the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and the Victorian era.

The Williamsburg Va tour is sponsored by the” The Williamsburg Garden Club”

FOr Advance ticket info contact :

Advance Tickets, Information and Lunch Reservations:
   Cathy Adams (Mrs. Kenneth A.)
   
   Telephone:  (757) 220-2486
   E-mail:  cbtbka@cox.net

FULL TICKET:  $25; includes admittance to each house on tour, transportation throughout the Historic Area via Colonial Williamsburg buses, transportation to and from the homes in the Walnut Hills neighborhood and the Escorted Walking Tour.  Single-site admission, $10.  Escorted Walking Tour single admission, $10.  Children 13 and older, full price; ages 6-12 admitted for half-price if accompanied by an adult.  Children 5 and under, free of charge.  Tickets may be purchased at the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center on Monday, April 21, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and on Tuesday, April 22, from 9 a.m. to noon.  On the day of the tour, both full and single admission tickets may be purchased at each of the homes on the tour

LUNCHEONBy reservation only.  A delicious box lunch will be available at the Bruton Parish Church Parish House, Duke of Gloucester St., from 11:30 a.m. until 2 p.m., for $13.  (The Parish House is located next to Barnes & Noble Bookstore.)  Please reserve your lunch by April 15 by contacting Cathy Adams at (757) 220-2486 or at cbtbka@cox.net.  Please make check payable to The Williamsburg Garden Club and mail to Mrs. Kenneth A. Adams, 217 Southpoint Dr., Williamsburg, VA 23185.

DIRECTIONS AND PARKING:

To visit Providence Hall House and the Charleton House in the Colonial Williamsburg Historic District:  From I-64, take Exit 238 (Camp Peary/Colonial Williamsburg) and follow the official Colonial Williamsburg signs to the Visitor Center, where parking is available for cars and buses.  Full ticket holders may board the Colonial Williamsburg buses free of charge on the lower level of the Visitor Center for transportation to the Historic Area. Disembark at the Tavern Bus Stop on Francis St. to tour these two properties. Approximately 0.2 mi. between the two homes.

To visit Bruton Parish Church Parish House, The Adams Garden, the Escorted Walking Tour or Mattey’s Garden:  Disembark at the Merchants Square Bus Stop.  The Bruton Parish Church Parish House (Escorted Walking Tour, Historic Silver and Luncheon) is located on Duke of Gloucester St. beside Barnes & Noble Bookstore. The Adam’s Garden is located one block west of the Bruton Parish House across from Talbots at the intersection of Richmond Rd. and Boundary St.
Mattey’s Garden: From the Bruton Parish Church Parish House, walk one block east on Duke of Gloucester St. toward the Capitol. Take a left on Nassau St. and walk two blocks (0.2 mi.) to the end of this street. The garden is on the left side of the school.  If you prefer to drive to any of these sites, parking is available at the Prince George St. Parking Deck (paid parking) on North Henry St.
 
To visit the Homes in Walnut Hills: 
From the Visitor Center:  Take the Colonial Parkway south toward Jamestown. Exit the Colonial Parkway at Rt. 199 West. Turn left at the stop sign at the top of this exit. Turn right on Rt. 199 and proceed to the stoplight at John Tyler Hwy. (Rt. 5 West). )  Turn left onto Rt. 5 West. Turn left at the first stoplight (Kings Way), and then take the first left into the parking area of Williamsburg Crossing Shopping Center.
From I-64: Take Exit 242 (Rt. 199 West). Follow Rt. 199 until the stoplight at John Tyler Hwy. (Rt. 5). Turn left onto Rt. 5 West. Turn left at the first stoplight (Kings Way), and then take the first left into the parking area of Williamsburg Crossing Shopping Center.
You may park anywhere near the white tent. Shuttle buses will be available every 10 minutes or so.

Note:  No neighborhood parking is permitted in the Walnut Hills area. Parking is inadequate for tour traffic. Please use the shuttle buses for this neighborhood.

Properties need not be visited in the order listed.

FACILITIES:  Public restrooms, pay phones and drink machines are located throughout the Historic Area, as well as at the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center.  Please ask hostesses at the homes on tour for the most convenient location.

Note:  As a courtesy to homeowners, and for your own safety and comfort, no high- heeled shoes are allowed in the tour homes.  No photography or use of cell phones inside the private houses or smoking, please.

Colonial Williamsburg Historic District

ESCORTED WALKING TOUR:  An escorted walking tour of gardens in the west section of Colonial Williamsburg will originate at the Bruton Parish House on Duke of Gloucester St., one block west of Bruton Parish Church.  Tours begin at 9 a.m., and depart approximately every 15 minutes. The last tour leaves at 3:45 p.m. The gardens featured on this tour include ornamental pleasure gardens with period annuals, perennials and herbs.  Participants will glean information on garden design, landscape details and “heirloom” flowers.

Gardens to be open:

  The John Blair Garden:  For most of his life, John Blair, Sr. kept a diary in which he recorded his love of gardening. In November 1751, he wrote that he “planted flowers.” He obtained orange trees from the “Green Spring” plantation nursery, and he mentions dining upon “fine greens” from his garden and that he gathered pears. The design of this small herb garden is reminiscent of the knot gardens so popular in the 17th century. Landscape architect Arthur Shurcliff designed the garden with a series of narrow walks dividing the 40’ x 50’ area into two sections, each with a central diamond-shaped parterres.

  The Taliaferro-Cole Garden:  As it appears today, this site is primarily the design of landscape architect Arthur Shurcliff, who prepared a landscape plan in 1941. The gardens were to be three separate rectangular areas, enclosed by fences, each planted for a special purpose. Beginning at the street level, the open lawn between the house and the shop is a simple ornamental yard shaded by oak trees. On the next, slightly lower level is a flower garden with central turf panels and planting beds bordering the walks. This area features horticultural interest in virtually every season of the year. In these beds may be found a colorful array of spring bulbs, summer perennials, and flowering trees and shrubs which may be enjoyed from many viewpoints around the garden.  The lower level is used as an orchard.

  St. George Tucker Garden:  According to documentation, St. George Tucker was an accomplished amateur gardener by the time he moved to Williamsburg and began to construct his garden around 1788. The physical layout and plan for garden reconstruction in the rear yard was revealed through recent extensive archaeological excavation. The planting palette for this reconstructed landscape and garden was selected from original Tucker plant lists and other plant lists of the period.  A number of old bulb varieties that were formerly located on the property (and transplanted to Colonial Williamsburg’s 10-acre nursery facility for safekeeping) have been brought back to the site and replanted.

  THE CHARLETON HOUSE, 410 E. Duke of Gloucester Street.  Records indicate that wigmaker Edward Charleton owned this residence by 1769.  A fortuitous discovery in a local attic uncovered his account book, which documented his high-profile clientele, including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and George Wythe.
  The Henley family owned the property from 1819 to 1886.  One son commanded the local militia at the outbreak of the Civil War, while the second son served as an assistant surgeon in the Confederate army.  A niece residing in the home at that time recorded the events of 1862 surrounding the Battle of Williamsburg and the Union occupation of the town.  The “Journal of Harriette Cary,” preserved at the Swem Library of the College of William & Mary, is a significant documentation of the events in Williamsburg during the Civil War.
  The Charleton House is one of the 88 existing original structures in Colonial Williamsburg.  The spacious center hall, with ten-and-a-half-foot ceilings, runs the complete length of the house.  The archway is not original, but added to separate the front hall from the rear stairwell.  Both the parlor and dining room were decorated with the assistance of the Colonial Williamsburg Design Studio.  These rooms are furnished with antique and reproduction pieces, including a small Shaker table, pillar and scroll clock, as well as a black rocker used by three generations of the resident’s family.
  Upstairs, the almost-nine-foot ceilings impart a feeling of spaciousness in the stair hall and bedrooms.  One bedroom has been converted into a cozy den for modern comfort and convenience.  Opened for Garden Week by residents James and Karen Perry.

  PROVIDENCE HALL AND THE CARRIAGE HOUSE, 410 East Francis Street.  Located just beyond Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Area, Providence Hall was added to the facilities of the Williamsburg Inn in 1981 as an executive retreat. The history of this house is one of continuous change. Originally built in 1770, near the Chickahominy River, the manse was part of a colonial mill and forge site. Next, it became known as the “Forge House.”  Most recently, Colonial Williamsburg transported the wooden structure to a prominent location bordering the Historic Area. Each of these stages has contributed to the appearance of Providence Hall today.
  Rich details of Providence Hall House are abundant. The black walnut foyer staircase is adorned with ornamental brackets. The parlor room’s original mantel and décor carry the theme of Virginia comfort. The hallway and front rooms are embellished with wainscoting distinguished by molded panels installed above and below chair rails. All three bedrooms have their own sitting areas. The dining room is furnished in the style of an 18th century tavern. The Carriage House, located across the brick terrace from the main house, offers additional guest accommodations. Although proportionally modest, the majority of its charming furnishings are period-correct.
  Providence Hall House is an example of historic authenticity combined with modern conveniences and is often used for business retreat accommodationOpened for Garden Day by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
 
Walnut Hills Area
(See directions above)

  THE BUNTROCK HOME, 8 Bayberry Lane.  This elegant Colonial was built in 1930 by Bathurst Peachey, who challenged his architect to design a center-hall Colonial duplicating the homes with spacious rooms enjoyed in the Colonial era.  Constructed with 18th century bricks, the house incorporates many design elements gleaned from structures in nearby Colonial Williamsburg.  The residence is situated on a knoll overlooking a gently sloping, naturally terraced yard with an abundance of specimen shade trees, boxwood and flowering plants, including two massive white wisterias at the entrance to the house.  The original landscape design was the vision of Stanley Abbott, local landscape architect, whose projects included the design of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
  The house has a varying rhythm of rooms, opening one onto the other as acts in a play.  With a disciplined eclecticism, the owner has filled the rooms with paintings, glass castings and statuary by local artists, as well as some of her own creations.  A felicitous mixture of media, each room provides its own animated rapport. The formal dining room with built-in corner cabinets opens into a calming library filled with soft, abundant texture provided by collections of Jeffersonian scallop shells collected on local jaunts. 
  The current owner purchased the house in 1994.  Renovations included enlarging and updating the 1930s kitchen and adding a conservatory and garages, while successfully integrating a variety of architectural and aesthetic styles inside and out.  On Garden Day,   many of the floral arrangements throughout the house will interpret the owner’s collection of artwork.  Opened for Garden Day by owner, Terry Emory Buntrock.

  THE RIDINGER HOME, 5 Canterbury Lane.  This charming Dutch Colonial built in 1985 serves as an autobiography.  Each room defines a chapter in the lives of the current owners, who are avid and dedicated collectors of American antique furniture and decorative arts.  In the spacious foyer, the horizontal line of the Connecticut chest and flanking Philadelphia Chippendale chairs is broken by a tall, dramatic grandfather clock, an original William Cummings piece.  In the soft-hued sitting room, a mid-19th century Hudson River Valley painting hangs above the distinctive mantelpiece, providing the room’s focal point. 
  The sitting room opens into a light-filled library overlooking the rear gardens below.  The totally renovated kitchen has maintained a true Colonial feel, with antique allegorical Delft tiles incorporated into the tiled backsplash.  The formal boxwood garden, abundant with daffodils, can be enjoyed from the breakfast table nestled in the bay window of the kitchen.
  In the upstairs stairwell are two portraits: one of the owner and the other of her daughter.  Both were painted by the owner’s father.  The three upstairs bedrooms — one master and one each for granddaughter and grandson — are decorated with carefully selected antique pieces conveying a vibrant feel for the past.  The lower-level fourth bedroom features a brick floor and many windows, opening onto a brick terrace.  Outside, the walk toward the woodland gazebo is a mixture of footfalls, combining the hard surface of the brick terrace with the soft crunch of the gravel path, which leads through the massed hellebores thriving beneath the flowering dogwood trees. Opened for Garden Week by owners Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Ridinger III.

Williamsburg—“Runningmeade”

  “RUNNINGMEADE,” 106 Mill Neck Road.  This majestic English Tudor house was built by the Wallace family in 1929 on 10 acres of land purchased from the College of William & Mary.  Crews working nearby on the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg completed portions of the house on nights and weekends.  The commanding regal façade is enhanced by varying steeply pitched rooflines, leaded-glass windows and soaring chimneys.  The brickwork is laid in the English bond pattern, and the cement roof shingles were made on-site during the construction.  Of particular interest are the cast-concrete fleur-de-lis plaques on the front façade and the keystones above several openings that are made of multiple pieces of vertically stacked slate.
  The original leaded-glass front door gives way to an open foyer with unobstructed views of the dining and living rooms. Typical of English Tudor style, the house has dark oak floors and trim work throughout.  In the dining room, the carved-rope and fleur-de-lis trim on the built-in corner cupboards is distinctive, as is the series of Wedgwood plates featuring famous London landmarks, providing a focal point above the windows.  Just off the living room is a delightful screened porch, offering vistas of Lake Matoaka and an impressive old oak tree fronted by a formal boxwood garden surrounded by brick walls.
  On the stairwell to the second floor hangs a brass rubbing done by the owner at Exeter Cathedral in England.  In the guest bedroom, the quilt on the bed was made by the owner’s mother.  Another quilt created by the owner’s great-grandmother is displayed on the quilt rack.  The family heirloom christening dress is shadow-boxed above the bed. Opened for the first time for Garden Week by owners Randy and Shelby Hawthorne.
 
ALSO OF INTEREST:

  THE ADAMS GARDEN, corner of North Boundary St. and Richmond Rd.  Dedicated in 1986 in memory of Gregory S. Adams, a member of the College of William & Mary Class of 1981, the garden (located at the corner of North Boundary St. and Richmond Rd.) has become a popular spot for outdoor lunches and study breaks.
Originally planted with azaleas and small bulbs, this enchanting garden’s collection now includes an interesting variety of both woody and herbaceous material which can be viewed from the crushed oyster-shell path meandering throughout.  Local and international visitors plan regular visits to enjoy what is in flower.
  The garden has been lovingly cared for by Madelynn Watkinson, a volunteer who has worked with support from College staff to create and maintain this quiet point of
beauty. 

   BRUTON PARISH CHURCH’S HISTORIC SILVER AND PRAYER BOOK are on display in St. Mary’s Chapel in the Bruton Parish House, one block west of the church, from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.  The display includes the 17th century communion silver used in the church at Jamestown, as well as the service presented by King George III to Governor Botetourt in 1768.  Also on display is the restored 1751 prayer book used at Bruton during the 18th century, with notes and paste-ins added at that time.  The prayer for the King was replaced with one for the President of the United States after the Revolution.  The grounds of Bruton Parish Church were recently enhanced by The Garden Club of Virginia with funding from Historic Garden Week in Virginia tours.

   MATTEY’S GARDEN is located at Matthew Whaley Elementary School on Scotland St., adjacent to the brick wall surrounding the Governor’s Palace in Colonial Williamsburg.  This special children’s garden was a gift from The Williamsburg Garden Club to the City of Williamsburg in honor of its 300th anniversary (1699-1999).  Garden programs involve participation by each grade level in such projects as a sunflower house, an alphabet garden, a water garden, a colonial herb garden, vegetable and flower gardening, composting and wildlife habitats.  The garden was the winner of The Garden Club of Virginia’s Common Wealth Award, thus enabling The Williamsburg Garden Club to fund another community children’s garden at Clara Byrd Baker Elementary School.  Mattey’s Garden will be open to the public free of charge from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on tour day.  Parking in the school lot is allowed during these hours while visitors view the garden.

  In honor of the 75th Anniversary of Historic Garden Week in 2008 and to show appreciation for the support received for our tour for many years, The Williamsburg Garden Club has made donations to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and the College of William & Mary for the “care, culture, and planting of gardens,” including those such as The Adams Garden and the Colonial Williamsburg gardens on tour. 

For additional on other garden tours through the state of Virginia search this website : http://www.vagardenweek.org/index.htm

For information on homes. lots and real estate in the area contact: John Womeldorf  ” Mr Williamsburg”

Liz Moore & Associates

757 254 8136

John@MrWilliamsburg.com  email

www.MrWilliamsburg.com/   website

www.MrBurg.com website

www.MrHamptonroads.com/  website

www.MrTidewater.com/   website

www.MrVaBeach.com/  website

Williamsburg Real Estate Resource. Search for Homes & Land in Williamsburg Virginia & surrounding areas  click here :CLICK HERE WILLIAMSBURG VA MLS HOME SEARCH
 

My other area Real Estate and Information Blogs for Hampton Roads/ Tidewater/ Williamsburg Virignia and surrounding areas

Williamsburg Real Estate Blog II

Williamsburg Real Estate Blog

Williamsburg Happenings/ Events Blog

 

 

8 Responses

  1. […] mrwilliamsburg is on fire! I give the post Historic Garden Week in Williamsburg Virginia Tuesday, April 22 … two thumbs up! Check it out! […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: