Colonial Williamsburg’s Merchants Square announces its complete 2014 calendar of events. The calendar includes many of the events that Williamsburg area residents and visitors have come to love plus a few additions that will round out a full year of good memories in the Square. This year the Square will host the Williamsburg Farmers Markets, road races, art and food events as well as concerts, car shows and the much-anticipated return of the “Merchants Square Birthday Bash.” There is no better place to enjoy music, art and other cultural events, coupled with great shopping and superb dining. A detailed calendar is maintained at www.merchantssquare.org/calendar.
Highlights of the 2014 season include:
- Williamsburg Farmers Market launches an expanded new schedule with a March 8 season opening. A perennial favorite, the Williamsburg Farmers Market returns to Duke of Gloucester Street with 30 producers and vendors. Weekly Saturday continue through November, with one additional Holiday Market.
- The Summer Breeze Concert Series will kick off with the fan favorite Independence Day Concert on July 2, and run each Wednesday through August 27. The July concerts will feature the following “not-to-be-missed” party bands from 7 to 9 p.m.:
July 9 – RareMixx
July 16 – Kings of Swing
July 23 – Karnival
July 30 – Slapnation
The USAF Air Force bands and TRADOC Army bands will entertain audiences each
Wednesday in August, from 7 – 8:30 p.m. All concerts are free, and concertgoers are advised to bring a lawn chair.
- Car Shows in the beautiful setting of Merchants Square have become a crowd pleaser. Along with the 6th Annual Williamsburg Invitational Car Show on Sunday, June 8, sponsored by the Colony Auto Enthusiasts, Merchants Square will add a second show on November 2 with the inaugural Williamsburg Jaguar Gathering.
- Merchants Square is excited to announce the return of the overwhelmingly popular “Birthday Bash” on October 3. The concert will again feature the renowned party band “Right On” and include the great food of the Merchants Square Restaurants. Rain date is Friday, October 10.
- Other favorites returning in 2014 include:
- Prince George Movie Nights, Sundays beginning June 15, at dusk. The popular outdoor movies on Prince George Street will return throughout the summer, ending on September 7.
- An Occasion for The Arts, October 4-5, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. The 46th annual downtown Williamsburg arts event features more than 160 juried artists.
- Constitution Day Concert, September 17, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Holiday Entertainment each weekend in December, and daily beginning December 8. Merchants Square will again host festive holiday entertainment, including strolling musicians, Santa Claus and Father Christmas, and the family favorite “A Christmas Carol” in 30 minutes performed by the VA Theatre Machine.
For the most up to date listing of the current calendar of events, additional detail and contact information for individual events please refer to the calendar section of the Merchants Square website at www.merchantssquare.org/calendar
Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at www.history.org.